You need some extra money, but you don’t know how to get it. You can’t get a raise right now and you can’t work another full-time job. But there are side gigs you can take on to keep your head above water until your financial situation improves. Here I’ll show you five side gigs you can do for extra cash.
How do you know which gig is right for you? Ideally, your side job should be something you enjoy, even a hobby if you can parlay it into a money maker. If you love animals, maybe dog walking can be your side hustle. Like transporting people? Then a limo service could be your thing. A lot of what you choose to do on the side depends on your regular job’s hours, so keep that in mind.
1. Baker: Yes, you have to love to cook and know how to do it well for this one. I have a friend who began an on-the-side bakery business out of her kitchen and has turned it into a lucrative cake baking service which she hopes to eventually become her sole money maker.
2. Party entertainment: You don’t have to dress up like a clown if you don’t want to, but if you’re outgoing and energetic and can perform simple magic tricks or juggle or sing (bonus if you do all three!), you can hire yourself out for kids’ parties and even corporate events.
3. Tutor: If you’re exceptionally good in a subject, chances are there’s a kid out there who needs your tutoring. This is generally more true for math and science, but I’ve tutored kids on SAT tests as well. You can even do this online, so it doesn’t require travel.
4. CPR instructor: You’ll have to take a class and become certified, but once you do, you can market yourself out to hospitals, public pools and YMCAs. Figure out what to charge and this is something you can do strictly in the evenings and on the weekends.
5. Photographer: If you have a good camera and you know how to use it, you can become a freelance photographer. This is not for you if you only have a point-and-shoot, but if you enjoy photography, you can sell yourself for animal and family portraits. People who live with animals and kids are always looking for someone to take their photos.
The best part about having a side gig is that if you love it, it could turn into your only gig, potentially your own business. You might be able to leave your full-time job and become your own boss, all from exploring your options of a side hustle.